As the weather gets warmer, spring and summer parties pop up like flowers in full bloom. Invitations to BBQ’s, picnics, spring galas, block parties, even brunch outdoors seem to spring up.
If you’re like me, you want to go socialize, enjoy the gorgeous weather and see friends! But if you’re like me, you also see the dietary pitfalls at every turn. Food and drink can be extremely social, and the pressures and temptation to eat something that is less healthy can outweigh, momentarily, the long term desire to be healthy. So what’s the solution? Give in to the dessert? Stay home?
BALANCE is the solution. The world will not come to a screeching halt if you eat that brownie at the picnic. Nor will the pounds pile back on if you partake in those delicious BBQ’d ribs that your neighbor made. However, saying yes to every indulgence can lead to those bad habits that you fought so hard to make disappear. Make healthy choices 80% of the time, and the other 20%, just live your life! Here are some ideas to help you make more positive choices, more often!
- Fill up before you go. Before you leave the house, eat a meal that you know is good and good for you! If you show up to a social occasion hungry, you’ll be more inclined to make choices that aren’t as good for you!
- Supplement every alcoholic beverage with one large glass of water. Not only will you help your body long term by staying hydrated, you’ll feel more full and be less inclined to consume less healthy food and drink.
- Bring a small notebook with you, and write down everything you eat (and drink!). If you don’t feel comfortable taking a notebook out at a party, try taking a quick snapshot of each item and journaling it when you are in private. Studies show that when we track our habits, we subconsciously make better choices (see our blog on food journaling here.
- At a buffet line, grab a small plate. At buffet lines, we tend to overfill our plates anyway. Those large plates, when piled high, can be a caloric bomb. Fill your plate, but keep it small! If you’re still hungry, go back for seconds.
Match your healthy eating with more fitness snuck into your day! Short on time? Follow our 7 proven hacks for finally getting your body back in under 10 minutes a day (without a gym!)
Subscribe to our blog to get twice weekly insights that will help you create a life of sustainable health.
Connect with us on social media and tell us how you’re staying on track with your health goals: