It seems like every day there is a new miracle food, diet, or supplement, and another food/diet/supplement that you once trusted that is now deemed eeeeevil. When in doubt, revert back to these 7 rules for optimal health:
1. eat food that came from the earth, in its most whole form. veggies are really great! fruit, legumes, grains, nuts, and seeds are great! animal protein is great when it comes from a great source and is eaten in moderation (a 12 oz steak is too large a portion, 4-6 oz is best). keep your plate colorful for a good variance of nutrients.
2. when choosing “altered” foods, read the ingredients list and be certain there are few ingredients listed, and that you can pronounce them.
3. drink mostly water. tea and a small amount of coffee are also good. juice is fine, but whole fruit is better. if you consume other drinks, do so infrequently.
4. stay active
5. if it’s artificial, heavily processed, and/or has a long shelf-life, avoid it & refer to #7.
6. do everything possible to keep stress at bay, it causes many negative reactions in your body.
7. follow these rules 80-90% of the time. the rest of the time, enjoy your life and indulge a bit.
I’m not saying to ignore new studies or to live under a rock, this is just a quick-reference guide that is a great place to start, and will keep you plenty healthy without any magic foods!
(oh! and be aware of portions – “all you can eat” is great economically but awful for your body! 3-4 fist sized portions of food per meal is plenty.)