Like a good lil’ nutritionist, I do my best to keep up with the fads and latest studies. I am currently reading The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, which I think qualifies for both categories. I have not finished the book, so I cannot offer a review just yet, but some of the concepts are very interesting. What I could offer for now is this: only you know how you feel following a specific diet. Please make any and all changes with trepidation (and, of course, with the approval of a health care professional), and continually listen to your body.
One of Ferriss’s biggest pushes for fat loss is the intake of legumes, so for all of you out there following trends and trying to get more beans in, this is the recipe for you!
This recipe makes a large salad. It is a wonderful option to have on stand-by in your fridge, or at a large family dinner. (Side note: I suggest Eden Organics only because their canned goods are the only readily available ones I know that are organic and BPA-free.)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 4-5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of Eden Organics kidney beans
- 1 can of Eden Organics black beans
- 1 can of Eden Organics navy beans
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 7 dashes of Mrs.Dash and/or your favorite seasonings
- salt & pepper to taste
- Throw it all together and mix it up! (Just be sure to rinse the beans a few times really well for better digestion.)
(You can substitute other beans in place of the ones mentioned)
Hope you like it! Comments and tweaks welcome!