Brussel sprouts for people who think they hate brussel sprouts! I made this the other night. Everyone loved it – including me! It will be one of my new staples. And it’s so easy!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste, preferably freshly grated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts and remove and discard any discolored outer leaves. If sprouts are large (more than 1 inch in diameter), cut them in quarters lengthwise through the stem end. If smaller, cut them in half.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil, add salt and the sprouts. Boil the sprouts uncovered until they are just crunchy-tender, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook them. Drain the sprouts well.
- Wipe and dry the pot and heat the olive oil in it. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the sprouts and nutmeg and sauté for another minute. Mix in the Parmesan cheese and toss the sprouts until the cheese melts.
from The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil, M.D., and Rosie Daley