Combining a grain with a legume gives you all the amino acids needed to form a complete protein! This is a yummy soup that is great for anyone, but especially you vegetarians/vegans who may be lacking in protein!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (preferably organic, in a PBA-free can)
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 3/4 cup barley
- 6 cups water
- 6 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups carrots, slices
- Saute onion and celery in oil until clear
- Add the remainder of the ingredients
- Cook until lentils and barley are tender (about 20-25 minutes)
Courtesy of Diane Cardell and family. Thank you.